Cardamom Maple Mini Macaroons
Reprinted with permission from The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery. Copyright © 2009 by Rebecca Katz with Mat Edelson, Ten Speed Press, a division of the Crown Publishing Group, Berkeley, CA.”
For 2 Dozen(s)
- 2 organic egg whites
- 1/2 cup(s) maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown rice syrup or honey
- 1 pinch(es) sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose unbleached white flour, or brown rice flour (for a gluten free macaroon)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cardamom
Cardamom Maple Mini Macaroons Directions
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the egg whites, maple syrup, brown rice syrup, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until just warm, about 1 minute. Add the coconut, flour, vanilla, and cardamom and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture just begins to sizzle and is slightly dry, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Using a teaspoon and your fingers, form the dough into 24 small mounds on the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool completely before serving.
- Variation: For a more decadent dessert, dip the macaroons in chocolate. Chop your favorite dark chocolate and place it in a dry metal or glass bowl and set it over a pan of gently simmering hot water (or use a double boiler if you have one). Stir the chocolate constantly until just melted, then remove it from the heat.
- Now for the fun part: Dip the macaroons into the melted chocolate, then place them on a pan or plate lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Chill in the refrigerator until the chocolate hardens, then enjoy!
Delicious!!! - Lisa Catherine