Cruciferous Crunch Slaw
This recipe is a great 'starter' or base recipe for building many other recipes using this slaw.
Here are some examples (click the link to see the recipe):
Start your ‘spring cleaning’ with a terrific internal cleanser.
Greens, especially cabbage, help our bodies move out the excessiveness and sluggishness that accumulates during the winter and holidays. Cabbage is abundant in sulfur, fiber, vitamin C, and it’s a ‘flat belly food’ that stimulates the burning of abdominal fat. Daikon radish, another cleansing vegetable that also fortifies the liver, enhances digestion plus is reputed to aid in the digestion of fat and protein, as well as helping the body to assimilate oil.
Toss in some dark leafy greens like Arugula or Watercress when ready to serve
For 1 Batch(es)
- 1 medium head of cabbage,sliced thin, mix half red and half green
- 5 inch piece of daikon radish, grated
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) cilantro, chopped (optional)
Cruciferous Crunch Slaw Directions
- Grate cabbage in a food processor using slicing tool to obtain long thin strips.
- All ingredients can be hand grated and sliced if you do not have a food processor.
- See attached video for directions.
- Place in a bowl, massage in some salt. Place a plate and weight over the cabbage
- mixture. Set aside for at least an hour (can actually be marinated for several days).
- This ‘pressing’ helps to soften the cell walls of the cabbage, while the salt will make the
- cabbage crisper and release its juices.
- Empty processor bowl and switch to grater attachment to grate the daikon radish
- then the carrot.
- Squeeze liquid from the cabbage if too wet. Set aside the excess juice.
- Toss the cabbage with the daikon, carrot, scallions, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Add cilantro if desired.
- This mixture can be stored in a glass bowl with tightly fitted lid in frig for up to 6 days.
- ~~Only toss with arugula or spring mix when ready to serve.