Asian Style Poached Cod with Shiitake Mushrooms
Wild caught Alaskan cod is rich in healthy oils and fats the not only fight cancer but also promote a healthy heart, normalize inflammation levels and glowing skin as well as balanced mood. Shiitake mushrooms are widely used in Asia to nourish super immunity both in food and as a tea. This dish is made with traditional oriental ingredients that give it an authentic and delicious aroma and flavor. If you cannot find fresh shiitake mushrooms you can soak dried shiitake mushrooms until they are tender.
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 tablespoon(s) toasted dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) grated or minced fresh ginger root with peel
- 8 ounce(s) fresh shiitake mushroom, thickly sliced, stems removed
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup(s) sake (rice wine) or Japanese Mirin Cooking Wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoon(s) gluten free low sodium soy sauce or Liquid Aminos
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) white miso (soybean paste)
- 1 tablespoon(s) rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) honey
- 4 Alaskan cod fillets 6 oz each
- 4 Green onions (scallions) cut into 1” pieces (discard white portion)
- 3 tablespoon(s) cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black black pepper
Asian Style Poached Cod with Shiitake Mushrooms Directions
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add toasted sesame oil
- Add ginger, mushrooms, and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add vegetable stock and rice wine, soy sauce, miso, rice wine vinegar and honey.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; arrange fish on top of mushroom mixture.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness,
- Gently remove fish from pan, set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Increase heat to medium-high stirring constantly
- Add green onions.
- Cook, uncovered, 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Turn off heat
- Ladle 2/3 cup broth mixture into 4 shallow bowls;
- Top each serving with 1 cod fillet.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and freshly ground black pepper pepper.
- Serve with lightly steamed bok choy
- A simple salad of baby spinach and mandarin orange slices drizzled with toasted sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and a splash of gluten free soy sauce
- Use sea bass, tilapia, halibut, red snapper instead of cod
- Add 1 tsp chili flakes to broth
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped Thai basil to broth