Beet Chips with Rosemary, Vinegar and Sea Salt
Beet chips with rosemary and sea salt and rice wine vinegar make a super healthy snack.
Beet chips are a tasty, crunchy, nutritious snack, rich in cell protective, cancer fighting, super antioxidants. Rosemary not only adds flavor but also contains canosol, a potent phytochemical widely studied for its impact on cancer cells. The aromatic oil in rosemary leaves also enhances digestion.
Beet pigments are rich in healing plant chemicals called betanins and betalains which have a positive effect on inflammation and also enhances the vitally important Phase Two detoxification in the liver, allowing you to process and get rid of toxic chemicals and properly detoxify your own hormones, including estrogen.
That is why beet juice is part of so many healthy detox plans. You will also find tealains in the stems of red chard and red rhubarb. Cancer cells exposed to beets in the lab, demonstrate lower levels of pro-inflammatory molecules including COX-1 and COX-2.
Cancer both thrives in and produces inflammation, so controlling inflammation is crucial. Betalains also appear to slow down the growth of tumor cells in the lab. The effects of beet pigments have been studied for their effects on cells from breast cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer and stomach cancer cells.
Rosemary not only adds flavor and enhances digestion but also contains a cancer fighting carnosol.
According to the National Cancer Institute, carnosol is "a promising anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory agent...and has been studied in breast cancer, colon cancer, skin cancer and prostate cancer."
For 4 Serving(s)
- 2 large organic beets, very thinly sliced using a mandolin, a food processor or a very sharp knife
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Rice WIne Vinegar (usually found in the Asian Food section) or Organic White Wine Vinegar
Beet Chips with Rosemary, Vinegar and Sea Salt Directions
- 1. Heat oven to 375 degrees
- 2. Place sliced beets in a stainless steel or enamel ware pot
- 3. Cover the beets with the rice vinegar
- 4. Bring to a boil, immediately turn off the heat, allow to steep for 15 minutes and drain thoroughly
- 5. Put the beets in a large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until evenly and lightly coated
- 6. Place the beets evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- 7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and lightly brown
- 8. Remove from oven
- 9. Sprinkle with sea salt and rosemary
- a. Use both red and golden beets. Be sure to cook them separately so you get both deep purple and bright orange chips.
- b. Try this same recipe with finely sliced carrots or yams
- c. If you like your chips a bit spicy, sprinkly sparingly with ground cayenne pepper or black pepper
- d. Instead of Rosemary, sprinkle with Chinese Five Spice Powder or Cumin Powder