Chicken & feta salad with raspberry dressing
What often makes cooking time-consuming—and puts busy people off the idea of making meals from scratch—is the time needed to prepare the ingredients before the actual cooking begins. Here we have all but eliminated prep time, without compromising quality and freshness! We take a few acceptable shortcuts by using pre-washed greens, a ready-roasted chicken (do try to buy organic rotisserie chicken, which are available in most good supermarkets), toasted nuts, ready-to-crumble feta cheese and a handful of berries that are washed and ready to use. Feel free to add other nuts, fruits and cheeses: in fall and winter, for instance, blue cheese like Roquefort, walnuts and fresh pears or dried cranberries go beautifully together. The only “cooking” you’ll have to do is to blend some ingredients into a salad dressing — but its fruity deliciousness will make you glad you did so! Who thinks the Mediterranean Diet is incompatible with busy modern lifestyles? Not me!
By Conner Middelmann-Whitney
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) mustard
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) hazelnut oil
- 1 cup(s) 110g raspberries (fresh or frozen & defrosted)
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) honey (optional – not needed if the berries are very sweet)
- 5 floz 140g baby arugula or mixed baby greens (most supermarkets sell these washed and ready-to-eat in the pro-duce section)
- 1 small rotisserie chicken (preferably or-ganic), cooled and cubed/shredded
- 1/2 cup(s) 50g fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup(s) 30g fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup(s) 40g hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 floz 50g ewe’s milk feta cheese (optional)
Chicken & feta salad with raspberry dressing Directions
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and process into a smooth, pink cream. Season to taste with salt, pepper, vinegar and honey.
- Place the greens in a wide, shallow serving bowl. Arrange the chicken on top of the leaves, scatter with blueberries, raspber-ries and chopped hazelnuts. Spoon the dressing over all the in-gredients, scatter with feta and serve immediately.