Endive Stuffed with White Beans, Sardines and Orange Slices
This is the most amazing, nutritious simple, easy to prepare appetizer. The delicate bitter crispness of the endive contrasts with the smooth texture of the beans and the sharp tangy sweet orange slices and zest. The sardines are a rich source of both protein and healthy omega 3 fatty acids so important for normal inflammation control and healthy cells. These omega 3 oils also support an anti-cancer environment. The beans and endive add fiber and the olives and olive oil contribute Vitamin E and monounsaturated oils. There is a modest dose of Vitamin C from the orange slices and their or juice. This is an appetizer that will be snatched up and enjoyed the minute it is served. It’s that good!! Assemble the ingredients and in 15 minutes you have 12 mini servings ready to go! A double batch is recommended! And its gluten free and dairy free. Leave out the sardines and you have a vegan vegetarian version!
For 4 Person(s)
- 12 endive leaves
- 1 organic orange from which 12 curls of orange zest from the peel have been set aside
- 1/4 cup(s) canned white beans
- 3 canned sardines
- 4 pitted olives
- 2 teaspoon(s) organic extra virgin olive oil
- to taste
- to taste
Endive Stuffed with White Beans, Sardines and Orange Slices Directions
- Arrange the 12 endive leaves on a plate.
- Peel the orange. Separate the orange segements and cut into bite sized pieces. Place in bowl.
- Take the 1/4 cup of canned white beans, mash them and place in bowl.
- Pat dry 3 canned sardines packed in olive oil, and cut into bite sized pieces. Add to bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of organic olive oil.
- Add sea salt and ground pepper.
- Toss together gently.
- Spoon mixture into endive leaves.
- Garnish each with a curl of orange zest and serve at room temperature.